It’s officially the first week of summer! A time many of us wait for all year round. Some find themselves traveling, some spending time with family and friends, and others devoting this time for rest and reflection. The concept of self-care seems simple, but why do we as individuals seem to find every excuse to not tune in to what our bodies need? We are so used to our daily routines and our roles as fixers and doers, but I challenge you all to find 15 minutes each day to dedicate to self-care. Pick from one of the eight categories of self-care to get you started!
- Intellectual – Read a book, talk to an elder, take a break
- Emotional – Engage in activities that involve your senses
- Environmental – Be in nature, visit a garden
- Physical – Move your body, take a lap around your building
- Spiritual – Create a quiet space for contemplation and solitude or a place for curiosity and playfulness
- Financial – Make small changes to expenses
- Community – Turn to a partner, family member or friend
- Occupational – Build relationships with coworkers/colleagues
Self-care and mental health at EF Academy
Here at EF Academy New York, we have begun to plan for our next academic year with much excitement! We look forward to continuing to prioritize the mental health of our community, as COVID-19 essentially created two pandemics. In the first year alone, global prevalence of anxiety and depression increased by 25%. In the world of education, we know that those who feel well, do well. While receiving good grades may be fulfilling, we cannot forget to first care for our minds and bodies.
For the first time, we will be offering several evening counseling hours within our mental health department, in addition to our school day hours. We could not be more thrilled to welcome two new members to our counseling team, Kimberly Lynch and Renee Swift. These new community members will help facilitate individual counseling sessions, groups, create mental health curriculum for our advisory classes, and run specialized workshops!
Being a part of a community that cares so deeply for the wellbeing of our students, faculty and staff is what truly makes EF Academy our special home away from home!
Director of Mental Health Services