Ponto de interrogação
Utilize o ponto de interrogação no final de todas as perguntas diretas.
- What is your name?
- Do you speak Italian?
- You're Spanish, aren't you?
Não utilize o ponto de interrogação com perguntas no discurso indireto.
- He asked me what my name was.
- She asked if I was Spanish.
- Ask them where they are going.
As perguntas mais longas também deve receber o ponto de interrogação.
- Isn't it true that global warming is responsible for more and more problems which are having a disastrous effect on the world's climate and leading to many millions of people in countries that can least afford it having to contend with more and more hardship?
- Why is it that even though you are unkind to me, ignore me when I ask you for help, and consistently forget to thank me when I do favors for you, you still claim to want me to be your friend and appear surprised when I prefer to hang out with other people?
O ponto de interrogação ocasionalmente aparece no meio das orações.
- There is cause for concern (isn't there?) that the current world economic balance is so fragile that it may lead to a global economic downturn.
- "Why is she here?" asked Henry.