Propose + gérondif veut dire suggérer. Dans ce schéma, il a le même sens que quand il est suivi d'une proposition introduite par that ou par un nom.
- John proposed going to the debate.
- I proposed having lunch together.
- Who proposed eating at this restaurant?
- I propose that we buy a smaller car.
- I propose buying a smaller car.
- I would like to spend less on gas. I propose a smaller car.
Propose + l'infinitif présente une intention.
- The Government proposes to bring in new laws.
- I propose to finish this meeting tomorrow.
- He proposed to go so I didn't have to.
- Janet has proposed to take notes and circulate them afterwards.