Study abroad programs
Find program for your age
Why study abroad?
It takes courage and commitment to learn a new language. The fastest, most natural way to learn is by taking part in a study abroad programme. Whether you want to immerse yourself in Spanish on the beaches of Barcelona or advance your business career in London, we have the best study abroad programmes to get you there fast.
Our schools are in the vibrant neighbourhoods in the world’s most exciting cities. Join us and study abroad with motivated students from a variety of different countries. You’ll make fascinating friends, discover amazing places, and have so much fun that you’ll hardly be able to call it work at all.
What are the benefits of studying abroad?
In today's world, language and intercultural skills are key to success. Discovering new places, immersing yourself in a new culture and making new friends from all over the world are proven factors for long-term success.
For us, progress isn’t just a possibility; it’s a promise. Studying abroad has challenges and rewards, and we support you every step of the way so you know your investment will pay off. The learning doesn’t stop when you return home: you’ll stay connected to your study abroad programme through online learning tools and student communities.
What’s more, you go home with documented proof of your language proficiency if you've studied in a non-English speaking country: an academic portfolio of certifications and exam results that are recognised by employers, universities and governments around the world. You won’t find a more reliable, more experienced study abroad programme anywhere. Other benefits of studying abroad are:
- Learn a new language
- Discover a new culture
- Meet new people from all over the world
- Gain valuable experiences, both personally and professionally
What study abroad programmes does EF offer?
Whether you want to prepare for an exam, graduate from a university, or just learn and discover a new language and culture at our language school - you came to the right place. Studying abroad is the best way to gain confidence and experience speaking a new language. Our study abroad programmes range from year-long courses to summer vacation programmes, so there's something for everyone. If you have decided that you want to study abroad, then it is time to find out what you would like to learn and discover. At EF, we offer numerous international studies abroad:
- EF Language Programmes - EF offers language courses in more than 50 destinations around the world, in 20 different countries and in 10 languages, suitable for international students of all ages and levels.
- EF Exam Preparation Programmes - EF will help you prepare for official language exams such as Cambridge English, TOEFL, IELTS and TOEIC. EF can also prepare you for an exam in Spanish, French, Italian, German, Chinese or Japanese.
- EF Internship or Volunteer Abroad Programmes - An internship or volunteer programme gives your CV a boost and helps you develop your language skills in a professional setting.
- EF University Foundation Year - In this year you will be prepared for your bachelor's degree abroad. You will acquire the skills you will need during your academic studies abroad. After successfully completing the programme, you are guaranteed admission to one of our partner institutions worldwide.
- EF Advanced Diploma Programmes - Take your language skills to the next level by combining intensive English classes with a subject of your choice. An ideal preparation for further study.
- EF Multi Language Year - Travel the world as you learn two to three languages fluently in different countries. This gives you the opportunity to get to know different languages and cultures.
Where can I study abroad?
There's no better way to become fluent in a language than by studying it in an immersion environment. Enrolling in a study abroad programme will improve your foreign language skills: a major asset to your future academic studies and career. You'll also become more independent and come home with an entirely new perspective on the world.
Our study abroad opportunities in non-English speaking countries include short-term summer study abroad programmes, long-term academic courses, and university preparation programmes. Whichever study abroad programme you choose, you can be certain that you won't soon forget all that you've learned while studying in a foreign country. But before we move on, what are the most popular destinations for international studies abroad?
- Study abroad in France
- Study abroad in Barcelona
- Study abroad in Rome
- Study abroad in China
- Study abroad in Tokyo
What are my accommodation options while I’m studying abroad?
Studying abroad gives you many customised options, including where you’ll live for the duration of your language immersion programme. You can opt to live with other international students in a student residence, or choose a home stay instead.
With home stay, you’ll join your host family for breakfast and dinner, and then during the day you’ll be in classes at our language school, university or college, or out and about exploring. This is a great way to experience the way of life in the city or country that you're visiting and reinforce your new skills. If you’d prefer a bit more independence as you study abroad, you can stay in a student residence with fellow international students from around the world.
What are the requirements to study abroad?
The conditions for studying abroad vary depending on the study, exchange program or language course you choose. In general, the conditions include good (certified) English language skills, a valid visa and travel insurance for the entire study period. When you decide to study overseas, please consider that achieving your learning goals depends on several factors:
- Study abroad takes time - Depending on your level of knowledge, you will choose a language course that is fully tailored to your needs and wishes in order to reach the desired level.
- Study abroad requires practice - Of course, there is no better way to learn to speak a language fluently when you are in the company of native speakers. As a result, you do not only practice during lessons, but also in everyday situations. Practice makes perfect, whenever and wherever you can.
- Study abroad requires commitment and dedication - Where we can, we help you achieve your learning goals, but the more committed you are, the greater the chance of success.
Study abroad is a challenge, but the rewards are amazing. Don't worry, with every step you take, we'll stand beside you. And your language journey doesn't stop when you return home - improving your language skills is an ongoing process.
How do I prepare for studying abroad?
Whether you're going to a holiday paradise with family and friends or deciding to study abroad: good preparation is half of success. Start in advance with all the preparations so you won't be faced with any surprises. To study abroad for a few weeks, months or a year, or to follow a semester abroad, you must make some choices. Use the list below to know exactly what is expected of you, and what you can expect from us.
- Language course - Would you like to study abroad for several weeks? For a three months internship? Or stay abroad for a whole year? It is important to know exactly what you want. Depending on your dreams and ambitions, you can study abroad for 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months or 1 year. It's totally up to you!
- Destination - Studying in Europe brings different experiences than studying in Asia. We have language schools in all corners of the world. The most popular countries are America, England, Canada, Australia, France, Spain and Malta.
- Accommodation - With homestay, you'll fully immerse yourself. If you’d prefer a bit more independence as you study overseas, you can stay in a student residence with fellow classmates from around the world.
- Visa & Insurance - In most cases you do need a visa to study abroad. Our study abroad agency will guide and advise you during the visa application process. A basic and travel insurance is also necessary to study abroad.
- Flights - Our EF staff is responsible for booking both outbound and inbound flights. For some destinations you'll need a return ticket to your home country for a successful visa application.
Once you know which course you want to take, for how long and where you want to study abroad - then it's time to start with the language preparation. You don't need any prior knowledge of the chosen language, but it's always good to start practising: listen to Spanish music, download an English language learning app or watch a French series on Netflix. The more familiar you are with the language you want to study abroad, the better and more effective your study abroad will be.
How much does it cost to study abroad?
EF offers many different course types and options, so the price of studying abroad varies depending on your needs and wishes. To receive a complete and personalized offer, please request a price quotation via our study abroad agency. Of course, you'll also need to consider the quality of your lessons as well as the extra activities. At EF we guarantee the best quality, both inside and outside the campus. Tuition, accommodation and meals are included in the offer:
- 20, 26 or 32 language lessons per week (40-minute lessons)
- Student residence or twin room with homestay
- Digital learning material
- EFSET Graduation Report
- Access to EF Campus Connect from enrollment
- Online pre & post course
- Free Wi-Fi access at our campus
Why choose our study abroad programs?
Since 1965, EF has helped people of all ages and nationalities become citizens of the world. Together, we are breaking down barriers of language, culture and geography. One passport. One discovery. One dream at a time.
Our high-quality educational study abroad programs have earned us accreditation by prestigious monitoring bodies and organisations, including ACCET in the Unites States. For nearly 50 years, EF has set the international standard as a pioneer in language learning. To date, EF has helped millions of people to learn a new language, discover the world, or earn an academic degree.
EF collaborates with the most prestigious universities worldwide – including the University of Cambridge – to define the future of language learning. Together this collective of the world’s leading linguists, scientists and language experts are pioneering initiatives in language acquisition, teaching technology and progress assessment.
Want to become a student abroad? Start living the language!
If you're looking to break out of your routine and study abroad with EF, just submit the form to request a free brochure, or call or text our study abroad agency to learn more!
We have over 50 years of experience and our reputation is world renowned.
Study with students from over 100 countries.
Explore the world through our programs in over 50 global destinations.
Learn faster and more comprehensively with the EF Method.
EF all the way
Our own schools and offices worldwide ensure exceptional customer service.
Our teaching expertise and approach to learning is recognised globally.